19 October 2007

JOE GOES PART 3: MANAGER PREDICTION

I GUESS I BLEW THIS PREDICTION!




Hank Steinbrenner says that interviews for Joe Torre's replacement begin next week.



"We're going to be interviewing maybe as many as five, six candidates, and we'll see how that goes. The job, there's been no real decision on that yet. They're going to be real interviews, and probably starting next week."



I hope the interviewer is not the same person that concluded that Kei Igawa can pitch in the Major Leagues.



This quote from Cashman is quite interesting:



"I'll sit down with all parties involved and make recommendations to ownership about compiling a list of file candidates. There may be some surprising names that show up of people expressing interest that you wouldn't even think about."


It's that last sentence that makes me wonder.



Who was not shocked when Bob Watson introduced Joe Torre as the next Yankees manager? I know I was.



With that said I've been thinking "out of the box" as they say, but lets look at the names of the obvious and most mentioned.



Don Mattingly: Obvious choice #1


Joe Girardi: Obvious choice #2


Buck Showalter: No thanks.


Bobby Valentine: No. Plus they love him in Japan so much he might be the next Emporer.


Tony LaRussa: As Mike Francessa said, if Tony can't handle the St. Louis media with 1
newspaper, New York will be a disaster for him.


Tony Pena: Possible. Wouldn't be a horrible choice.


Larry Bowa: Possible. He's Billy Martin without the booze.


Bob Brenly: Fits Steinbernners "can't beat 'em join 'em" philosophy. He has had a habit of bringing in folk who have beat him.



But thinking "out of the box" 2 names came to me.


One of them is Reggie Jackson. A George favorite. He fits the model of being a Yankee, he's won championships, hall of famer, etc. Only draw back was lack of coaching or managing experience.



The man that I predict will be the next Yankees manager fits the Yankees model. He's been a Yankee, coached and managed in the YANKEES minor leagues and is also a George favorite.





My "out of the box" prediction for the next manager of the New York Yankees is:





TOMMY JOHN


Thomas Edward John Jr.:


New York Yankee 1979-1982, 1986-1989

288 career victories, 6th highest total among lefthanders in major league history.


4 time All Star

Pitched in 3 World Series

Pitching coach for the Harrisburg Senators, then a AA team of the Pirates

Pitching coach for the Edmonton Trappers, then a AAA team of the Expos.

Manager for Staten Island Yankees.

Currently manager of the Bridgeport Bluefish of the independent Atlantic League.
***
I'm not saying that I want TJ to be the manager, it's just my guess of who I think it will be.
Personally, I want Joe back and until they put the cap on the next guy, anything is possible in Yankee-land.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, definitely like what you have to say. To tell you the truth your "outside the box" pick #2 isn't that far fetched. Nobody really knows that much about TJ as a manager, so it would be a pretty good choice. If he does well, it was a great choice, and if he doesn't well, it will be easy to get rid of him. I don't think Yankee fans could really complain if Tommy John becomes the next manager.

Contact/About Me

Advertise on NYYU

Make me an offer. pins.....................@yahoo.com

FIND OUT WHO IS CALLING YOU!

Directory of unknown callers.Phone fraud: Report it! Stop it!Directory of unknown callers.Phone fraud: Report it! Stop it!

God Bless America

God Bless America
Stand With Rand